Student spotlight: Placement special

As part of our Business and Law student spotlight 2021, we spoke to three students about their placements and what this means for their futures.

Jack’s placement

• Where: Old Mill Financial Planning, working with the private client team as a Client Service Associate
  • When: July 2021
  • Programme: Banking and Finance
Jack Tierney portrait

“It was a relief to secure a placement within my desired industry and with a firm that has such a great reputation. I am looking forward to gaining a full year of industry experience within financial services and making good connections to build a solid network for when I graduate. The hands-on experience I will gain will help me significantly when I pursue professional qualifications.

My main tips for others wanting to do a placement are; firstly, don’t get disheartened if you get rejected, file the email away and keep on applying. I think I must have been rejected over 50 times before I got this one. Secondly, use any family connection that you can, this may be in the form of a family friend working in the industry or previously worked. Arrange a phone call or a coffee to pick their brains as well as a CV review to gain industry-specific knowledge. Lastly, all you are looking for is to get a face-to-face interview! Once you are there, you can build rapport with the hiring manager. Remember, all it takes is one application per day.”

Stefano’s placement

• Where: Hargreaves Lansdown
  • When: July 2019 to July 2020
  • Programme: Accounting and Finance
Stefano Chiavelli portrait

“My placement year has been an incredible opportunity to work in a great firm, surrounded by brilliant individuals whilst establishing great connections both in and out of work.

I have gained so much during this year including commercial awareness, improved professionalism, an enhanced CV, broadened my network of like-minded individuals and dealt with the inevitable challenges that come as a result of working at an FTSE 100 company.

My advice to others would be to start early! Do your research and look beyond the company’s website for information. Be passionate about the firm’s mission and vision and prove that you are an asset to them.

“It always seems impossible until it’s done” – Nelson Mandela. We as students often struggle to believe in ourselves, in our own capabilities and tend to focus on what could go wrong… as opposed to what could go right! Thus, I thought this quote might inspire someone to take a leap of faith and work at your goals relentlessly, as though you truly deserve that place/job/role.”

Tom’s placement

• Where: Microsoft, working within their Consulting services as an Account Delivery Executive
  • When: July 2021
  • Programme: Business Management and Economics
Thomas Carter portrait

“I am extremely excited to be doing my placement at such an innovative and dynamic company. I am hoping this placement will allow me to expand my network and gain customer-facing experience and technical skills.

I wanted to do a placement to firstly gain work experience that is valuable when looking for a job but also to identify whether the tech industry is the right path for me when I graduate.

My advice to others who are wanting to do a placement is to really focus on tailoring your application to the specific company you’re applying to. Do your research, be confident and don’t be afraid to ask questions.”