Bristol Inter-disciplinary Group for Education Research (BRIDGE) Seminar

Bristol Inter-disciplinary Group for Education Research (BRIDGE) invites you to a lunchtime seminar on 13 December, 12-1pm, Room 2S601. Our speakers are Laura Manison Shore, PGCE Primary and EY Programme Leader and Partnership Manager, Department of Education and Childhood; and Dr. Maryam Almohammad, a Research Associate at the Department of Education and Childhood.

Laura Manison Shore: EdD student (part 2) Title of EdD thesis:

Is teaching a classed and gendered profession? Exploring the narratives of female primary school teachers

This research explores the experience of female trainee primary school teachers during their first year at this university. It is set against a backdrop of perceived class identity, developing professional identity, and choices made that led them to train to be a teacher. My overarching interest is in the notion of class and how this impacts self-perception and emerging professional identity and asks, is primary school teaching a classed – and gendered occupation? Through narrative enquiry as a methodological approach, I listen to trainees’ ‘stories’, and unpick and develop the themes that I have foregrounded in my research questions and engage with my participants to co-construct themes and meaning from the narratives they share. I am particularly interested in the experiences and subsequent impact on habitus of women who are first generation university attenders. My theoretical position is framed by Bourdieu’s notions of capital; I am interested in how these capitals might be both explicitly and implicitly demonstrated by my participants. My particular focus is around the area of cultural capital and the assumed nature of certain forms of knowledge and practices. My interest in both the substantive research focus and the choice of methodology is embedded in my own ‘life history’, and self-consciously reflecting on my own experiences is a way of reflexively understanding my research where I have recognised that how, in the context of my background, becoming a teacher imbued with me a level of perceived ‘respectability’ which impacted my own personal and professional identity and subsequently shaped and informed my research interests.

Dr. Mariam Almohammad

Performing Identities and Negotiating Positions in the Syrian Workplace: Access, Learning and Evaluation

Literacy practices are always enacted in specific social arenas where language and the field dynamics reshape the social experiences of actors. This paper explores how three Syrian graduates navigate their internship landscape within the context of TESOL in Syria. The internships are part of a training programme in a Higher Education Training Institute. The three trainees negotiate their positions and access of the internship workplaces using social, educational and linguistic resources. In both internships, access and positioning are a source of identity struggle. Language and other forms of capital play a role in reproducing the interns’ professional identities within the internship multilingual arenas. This research adopts an ethnographic approach and analyses data from interviews, internship reports, documents and self-narrative. Drawing upon Bernstein’s theory of pedagogical codes and pedagogical device, the paper discusses the complex process of knowledge production, reproduction and distribution, as a result of the dynamic interplay of structure and agency. The paper traces the processes of accessing workplaces, learning (about positions and discourses) and finally evaluation of the internship. The findings reveal that evaluation takes place when the consciousness of the three trainees develops towards assessing the possibility of knowledge transfer and mobilization of literacy practices.

For more details contact: Maryam.almohammad@uwe.ac.uk