Lottie Visits Jaguar Land Rover (and sees it all!)

UWE’s Lottie is back, reporting (with a little help from Laura Maybury) on her engineering #lottietour adventures, this time at Jaguar Land Rover, in this guest post.

I was hoping for a skiing holiday before Christmas but I found myself piled on top of Laura’s Christmas cards to be sent off in my jiffy bag! It’s not scary anymore, I just fall asleep and wait to see where I end up… #experiencedtraveller

I was greeted out of my bag by Prisilla who, as I found out, is a current engineering student enjoying a placement year at Jaguar Land Rover. Prisilla had organised a lot of things for me to see so we had an early start; but I was excited to learn more about JLR, I can just see me in a Range Rover! I started my journey in Body Shop 3. This is where the shell of the cars are joined together, before moving onwards to the paint shop.  I found out that the body shop is mainly automated, which is a great practical application of robotics within the engineering industry. Maintenance engineers have to make sure the robots are running as desired and fixed in time. Engineers also work on the manufacturing process and making sure future construction is planned correctly. I even had a seat in the control desk where the live status of each zones are monitored and recorded.

After going through paint, the car comes into the assembly halls. In the pictures, I am in the Trim and Final hall for the F-Pace and Velar cars. This is the most important place on site, as this is where the shell of the car gets assembled and built up with the engine and all other parts to get the final finished product. Engineering plays a key role: from production to maintenance of the machines to the manufacturing of the parts and to even fixing issues found. Engineers also contribute during the launch of a car: making sure the car is being built correctly, problem solving any launch issues to monitoring the build and ensuring the car is ready for the customer. You can see me in the chassis line, in glazing where the sunroofs are fitted and in general areas of the track (basically anywhere I could get to!).

I’d seen so much already but Prisilla said that we had some more to come…this place is huge!!  I got the chance to head over to a building called Batch and Hold, where I saw more pipes than I’ve ever seen in my life!! It was a very complicated but interesting pipe system and I found out that these are the pipes which provide the fluids for the water test that cars have to go through after being made. No one wants a leaky car! Engineers are involved from the design to the manufacturing to the daily maintenance of these pipes.  These engineers get everywhere!

I finished my visit at the main entrance where I was able to get a picture with Prisilla! I think the main thing I took away from my visit is that even though JLR is seen as an automotive company, it involves many other engineering disciplines. Each discipline plays a part in a JLR car, which is why engineering is an industry with many opportunities; there’s literally something for everyone. (I’ve also snuck in a photo of me looking out the window at the end of the day, I didn’t want to go home really….sorry Laura!).