Help children grasp what engineering is all about

With schools closed, scientists have moved online to engage with children on all the wonderfully intricate and mind-boggling secrets of our universe.

Luckily a great locally run platform for sharing science with kids already exists – I’m a Scientist.

And you can join other UWE engineers in the I’m an Engineer zone!

I’m a Scientist organises set weeks of interactions throughout the year, each on specific themes of inquiry. Schools sign up and students ask a whole myriad of questions, which the recruited scientists try and answer.

Usually there’s a competitive element, with students judging scientist’s answers in I’m a Scientist Get me out of Here. But in the current climate the team based in Bath have launched I’m a Scientist Stay at Home to run more question-asking sessions for students.

Teachers sign up for 40 minute sessions, and I’m a Scientist are on the lookout to expand session capacity, so need more scientists of all disciplines to sign up.

You can sign up for only a few hours, or much more – whatever time you volunteer will be appreciated by teachers, parents and students.

Read more and sign up here – being sure to join the I’m an Engineer zone!

A number of UWE staff are already taking part, including Alan Winfield, Professor of Robot Ethics. He’s re-joined after doing a stint on I’m a Scientist nine years ago, so if you’d like to know more, read about Alan’s past experience on his blog.

“Brilliant – it was a kind of science soap box! I got to pontificate on life on Mars, the end of the world and human extinction, global warming, nuclear power, dreams, light years, my favourite animal, my favourite car, string theory, the Higgs Boson and dark matter.

“By far the biggest category of questions was about doing science: why and how you do science, what’s the best thing about being a scientist, what you think you have achieved, or will achieve and so on (and quite a few on what you will do with the prize money if you win). These are great questions because they allow you to explode some myths about science: for instance that you have to be super smart to do science, or that one scientist can change the world on their own.”

Alan Winfield