EDM’s Lisa Brodie inspires at Women in Engineering Conference

Head of EDM, Lisa Brodie was guest of honour at the 2020 South West’s Women in Engineering  conference. held at the beginning of February.

Lisa delivered a keynote speech to an audience of female engineering professionals wishing to develop their skills and roles within the industry.
Delegates were inspired as Lisa spoke of her journey from graduating with a manufacturing system engineering degree, to becoming a chartered engineer and to her current role leading over 100 academics. Lisa also spoke of her passion for truly inclusive and diverse STEM education and how UWE Bristol’s multi-million pound new school of engineering will drive this forward when it opens later this year.

Lots of delegates listed Lisa’s talk as the highlight of the day!

“What a lady. Very inspiring to hear such an honest account and experiences. Normalising challenges is hugely comforting :)”

“Really good and made me realise I’m not a failure for coming up against obstacles. I just need to persevere and challenge myself.”

“Amazing. One of the most inspirational talks I have ever listened to. Made me excited for the career journey.”

“So relatable in so many ways! Engaging and supportive and something we all need to hear :)”

Organiser’s of the conference, Business4Life, express their thanks to Lisa and other speakers on the day for making the event a success and for helping them to raise £3,862 for WaterAid to install 8 bio-digesting toilets in Monrovia, Liberia – where 8/10 people do not currently have access to a decent toilet.

All photos courtesy of B4L’s photographer – Dominick Mortier.