How Krystina got into a career in engineering

UWE Bristol alum, Krystina, tells us about her career in aerospace engineering. She shares her experience of studying engineering at UWE Bristol and the best bits of her degree. In this post, Krystina also shares her advice to other women who want to get into engineering.

Hi, I’m Krystina and I’m a UWE Bristol alum. I’ve recently been named in the Northern Power Women’s Future List. ‘This campaign aims to accelerate gender diversity from the North of England and I want to inspire young girls to get into careers in STEM.

I studied at UWE Bristol for four years and combined my undergraduate and postgraduate studies into an integrated master’s course in Aerospace Systems Engineering.

I chose to study at UWE Bristol because the course really appealed to me and the city of Bristol itself is a major hub for the Aerospace industry.

I really enjoyed the environment at UWE Bristol – my lecturers were supportive and my student experience was very positive. I made friends for life and still visit Bristol whenever I can!

My career in the aerospace industry

I am now a Flight Systems Engineer at BAE Systems, where I’ve worked for six years. As a Flight Systems Engineer, my job is to design, develop and support various aircraft flight systems.

I found out about the Northern Power Women campaign through social media. I absolutely wanted to get involved straight away as diversity in engineering is very important to me. I’m very grateful to be included on the list alongside so many incredible people.

My advice to aspiring women in engineering

I have kept in touch with lecturers but looking back I could have done more to build up a network of industry contacts. Although it may be intimidating, network to connect with those who have similar interests and to support your professional career development.  

My top piece of advice: make the most of your university experience and take opportunities that interest you, such as taking an industry placement. Your time at university goes by so quickly but will change your life.

Find out more about studying engineering at UWE Bristol.