How Clearing gave me a second chance to study at university.

By Chris, BSc(Hons) Biomedical Science and MSc Science Communication

UWE Bristol student, Chris, tells us how Clearing enabled him to apply to university after he decided to make a career change. He shares what it’s like phoning the Admissions team on results day, and how they helped him to narrow down his options. Read Chris’s story.

Why I chose UWE Bristol

After not doing as well as I’d hoped in my A levels, I didn’t think studying at university would be possible for me. I started building a career for myself as a chef, but after a while, I became bored of the daily grind in the kitchen. I decided it was time to take the plunge and get back into education.

I chose to study a second set of A levels, so I’d be able to enrol onto a degree at university. I got through my A levels, performing a lot better the second time around. I hadn’t planned on going to university that year, so I’d already missed the UCAS deadline. Plus, I didn’t know which courses I’d be able to get onto with my A levels, so I was unsure where to go from here.

I later met up with a friend in Bristol who suggested Clearing to me, which sounded like a great option. Once I’d researched Clearing and looked at the courses on offer, I had my heart set on UWE Bristol. I’m local to the area, so I love the city and I didn’t want to stray too far from the South West countryside.

“When I started exploring Clearing, UWE Bristol sounded amazing. Modern campuses, world-leading research, fantastic facilities… The decision to apply was a no-brainer.”

My experience of Clearing

Despite already having my grades, I was still nervous about Clearing as I didn’t know what to expect. I gathered my exam results, a notebook and pen, then I dialled the Clearing hotline number. My call was answered straight away by a friendly lady from the Admissions team at UWE Bristol. I explained my situation and the lady talked me through my options.

At first, all the possible choices were quite overwhelming. But the lady on the other end of the phone calmed me down by helping to narrow down my options. After chatting about my plans, I chose to accept a place on the Biomedical Science course. It suited my biology and chemistry A levels, plus it offered a lot of possible career paths, so it seemed perfect for me.

Starting my course at UWE Bristol

Looking back, choosing to study at UWE Bristol was the best decision I’ve ever made. The phone call I made to the Clearing hotline changed my life. I learned so much on my Biomedical Science degree, and my lecturers were so supportive. Their enthusiasm for the subject was infectious and they were never too busy to help you.

I enjoyed my first degree so much that I applied for a master’s in Science Communication to continue my studies here. I’ve applied the skills I gained through my degrees to start my own charity in sustainability research and outreach. UWE Bristol have inspired me to follow my passion and turn it into a career.

Final thoughts

My career change wouldn’t have been possible without the support and encouragement of the staff at UWE Bristol. I’m glad Clearing took me in a different direction, as it’s all worked out for the best. Applying through Clearing is easy, simple and will lead to amazing opportunities, so the decision is more than worth it.

Apply through UWE Bristol through Clearing.