As you will know from reading our first blog, we recently launched the Biospheric Microplastics Research Cluster. Over the past few weeks we have been busily working away on our cluster and we thought we’d share with you some updates:
We’re currently mid-way through recruitment of a Research Fellow in Biospheric Microplastics. The successful candidate will work across the institution and play an integral role in the cluster, supporting us to achieve our aims to address critical gaps in the microplastics research landscape. This is a really exciting step for us as a cluster.
We currently have 5 undergraduate and 12 postgraduate research projects investigating a range of microplastic research questions. It’s been great to get our students involved with our research and see them be as passionate as we are about microplastics. We’ve included some pictures below of one of our students conducting research in the field.
Opportunities to join the cluster
We have several opportunities to join our research cluster on our MRes Applied Sciences programme, titles and programme link below. Please contact Dr Stephanie Sargeant for more information. All titles are part of the UWE Bristol Biospheric Microplastics Research Cluster (UWE BMRC):
- Modelling airborne microplastic dispersion
- Investigating the plastisphere: microbial communities on plastic debris
- Developing standardised methods for airborne microplastic sampling and analysis
- Quantifying the role of macroalgae in trapping and accumulating microplastics
- Investigating the human health implications of environmentally sourced airborne microplastics
- UWE Bristol MRes Applied Sciences: course details
We look forward to sharing more updates with you soon,
Dr Stephanie Sargent and Dr Ben Williams