This November sees the return of Feel Good Fortnight. With cost of living on our mind, we will be here to help you to relax, try something new, get active and eat well all whilst on a budget.
So what’s happening?
Between 14 – 27 November, free Feel Good events will be taking place across UWE including:
- 1-1 music lessons from the Centre for Music
- Give-it-a-go sport and exercise activities. Did you know that MOVE is free for students for this academic year? Result!
- Plant propagation, poetry making and fabric mending sessions at Glenside Library
- Managing your money with the Student Money Service and Global Café
Plus much more to be found on the Feel Good Fortnight webpage and @FeelGoodUWE on Instagram.
The Feel Good team will be running engagement stalls with key collaborators including Student Money Service, Centre for Appearance Research, Libraries, UWE Bristol Sport, Centre for Music, and more at:
- Glenside the Hub: 16th November 10am – 4pm
- Bower Ashton the Hub: 22nd November 10am – 4pm
We know cooking on a budget can be tough, so we will be giving away a limited number of free bags including recipe cards and store cupboard essential items. So do pop down to say hi to pick up yours!
Your opinion matters
Feel Good is going to look a little different next year and we want to know what works for you. If you have ideas about how UWE Bristol can help you feel good, make sure to visit us at one of the engagement stalls or drop us an email on email@example.com.
We asked UWE staff to share tips on saving money to feel good:
- Cook together: Not only can this save money, but it is also a good opportunity to catch up with your housemates and unwind at the end of the day
- Fill the oven: Turning on the oven just for one stick of garlic bread? How about throwing in some potatoes too? This way you have lunches for the week and you are using the oven to the max and saving energy
- Leftovers are king: There are microwaves dotted around campus to make it easy for you to enjoy your leftovers the next day. Click here and select ‘food’ to find a list of microwaves on campus
- Did you know: you can get free NHS prescriptions? Pick up a HC1 form at an Information Point
- Take a break: make the most of free tea and coffee on campus, just take your cup to the main outlets at any of the 3 campuses
- Eat well for less: The Students’ Union are running free hot meal events across the campuses. £3 meals available on campus until 19:00 at Onezone and Glenside Hub and 18:00 Bower hub – yum!
- Be in the know: Check out the new UWE cost of living and the Students’ Union cost of living support pages
Kim Hackman and her team at the Student Money Service are here to help
It can feel like an uphill struggle trying to make your money stretch far enough when prices are on the rise. The Student Money Service are working with the Feel Good team over the next few weeks – catch them at the engagement stalls across the campuses and make sure you follow @uwe_student_money on Instagram to follow a series of Money Mindful content to help you get the tools to be in control of your money. We also want to remind you that budgeting is your friend and such a great tool to help you manage when money is tight. Remember budgeting is to plan where your money goes not wonder where it went!
Plan your meals and your shopping, set up a kitty for household items, swap or rent instead of buying new and where possible cook in bulk.
Don’t forget about discount vouchers and codes, shopping around for deals, budgeting and money saving apps, free NHS prescriptions and most importantly spend some time thinking about how and why you spend – is it necessary? Can you spend more wisely?
Finally, please start conversations about money, swap tips, and tricks with friends, and ask for help if you’re struggling. Money should not be a taboo and now more than ever you need to be talking openly and honestly about it- don’t forget you are not alone. Lots of students struggle at times or make mistakes. Come and talk to us if you are struggling for money and visit our Student Money webpage for more information. You can also sign up to BlackBullion for free money education.
The Students’ Union is here for you!
The Students’ Union at UWE have created a range of support options that go beyond signposting to support projects, across all campuses. Come along to The Students’ Union Café at your campus site for a free hot meal, pay a visit to one of our Swap Shops, sign up to our Free Sustainable Period Product Trial or grab one of our £5 food boxes.
Find out more about what’s on offer online.
We hope you carve out time during Feel Good Fortnight to focus the 4 themes:
- Relax – take some time out and get involved with a Feel Good activity that works for you
- Try something new – download your free 1.1 music session on any instrument!
- Get active – check out the fun activities available through MOVE
- Eat well – Get a free hot meal at the SU and 33 meals on campus