Preparing for my study year in Sweden

by Hannah, BA(Hons) International Business

I love the vibrant Swedish culture and whenever I visit I feel calm and at peace.

When applying for BA(Hons) International Business I was attracted to the study year abroad in third year. The year abroad is compulsory and UWE have multiple partner institutions over the globe spanning the US, Mexico and Taiwan. I have now been accepted at the University of Sweden to study International Marketing starting in August.

In July 2018 I took two weeks to visit Stockholm, staying with a family in Solna, just outside of Stockholm. I had a great time traveling by subway and walking to parks and villages. I enjoyed walking around the campus, noting its professional design and calm atmosphere. The fact that the Stockholm Business School welcomes 140 exchange students every semester means that there is a good buddy programme and small added extras like a welcome dinner to get us settled in. I really love that the campus reflects Stockholm with its elegant historical buildings and parks but then also has a modern, cosmopolitan spirit. I love the vibrant Swedish culture and whenever I visit I feel calm and at peace, appreciating the beautiful surroundings and sun sets etc. I would love to take part in the Swedish language lessons and really immerse myself into the culture and new opportunities.

Studying abroad will enable me to complete my degree which I am currently on track to secure a first class honours. In the future though I plan to work overseas or travel in my career as I love working with interesting people who are different from me. I’m hoping that by studying abroad I will gain a global awareness as I believe that having the ability to network globally is a great skill to have. I will also gain a new-found independence, knowing that this time I can travel and explore whilst partaking in a normal academic routine- building my self-confidence and self-awareness.

I’m also finding that my interpersonal skills are being developed when planning each detail of my year abroad in terms of travel, accommodation and university policies etc. Spending time researching the country’s currency and culture has helped me prepare for the year out, understanding that change will occur quickly and I need to be prepared to adapt quickly to the cultural and personal change which should put me in good stead for the workplace when project managing large tasks, being able to plan logically and think critically.

Most importantly though I feel like my year abroad will remind me that anything is possible!

Find out more about global study opportunities