My top tips for completing job applications

Chloe Matthews

by Chloe Matthews, BA(Hons) Fashion Communication

The process of writing an application can be daunting, but it’s all about seeking opportunities which will develop your skillset and enhance your CV. Thinking about jobs is often scary, but it is important to gain experience which sets you apart from future candidates.  Remember – you don’t need to know what you are going to be doing in ten years’ time, just arm yourself with experience and skills to widen your opportunities later on. 

During my time at UWE Bristol I’ve worked as a Student Ambassador, volunteered for a charity and recently started working as a Student Content Coordinator. For all of these, I’ve had to complete an application to be shortlisted and it got me thinking, what makes a good job application?

I’ve rounded up the top tips which have helped me in the past that I hope will help you with your next application too!

Decide where and what to search for

Since studying at UWE Bristol, I found the UWE Job Shop and Infohub Vacancies valuable tools when trying to find volunteering and work experience opportunities. The site offers a range of vacancies which will enhance your knowledge and employability. I found a volunteering vacancy as a Social Media Coordinator at Sue Ryder, which allowed me to explore an area I had little experience in, but always wanted to try. I discovered that the position held more responsibilities than I had anticipated but led me down more avenues to explore.   

But what if you don’t know what to apply for?

Use Infohub to find vacancies!

Identify your skills to you find the right role for you

If you identify what you enjoy doing and what you are good at, you will discover an umbrella of paths to explore. By researching these key skills, you will find out what job titles surround your interest and abilities – which will create a direction for your job hunt. 

Once you’ve found an opportunity try to understand the role 

Once you find a role which interests you, ensure you understand what the advert is asking of you. Are there particular skills or qualities the job requires? 

Make a list of what the job requires and make a list of examples of when/how you have done this. Source key skills you have exercised on your degree, for example, communication, team work and time management. By doing this you will uncover core transferable skills which are crucial for all jobs. Never under estimate the experience and qualities you have, as everything you do holds significant value. 

Learn about the company you are applying to  

When completing an application, it is important that you show a level of understanding and knowledge of the establishment you are applying to. What do you like about the company? 

Showing that you have an interest and an awareness of the company will demonstrate initiative and engagement, which counts for a lot!

And finally…

Remember, there is no harm in trying and there is nothing to lose when applying to jobs. Even if you don’t get the role, it’s all good experience so keep your eyes peeled for opportunities and keep working towards your end goal. 

Check out the applications section of the Careers Toolkit for useful resources and tips on how to complete a successful application.