Meet Willis

Master in Research (MRes) Applied Sciences

Before I came to UWE ristol I would have described myself as shy and lacking in confidence. I was also sceptical about going to university as very few of my friends were going and I would have been the first of my family to attend. Despite this however I soon flourished at UWE Bristol, finding the more mature education environment the perfect space to grow.

Having focussed on Science as my passion, particularly Chemistry and its application, I knew that if I were to go to university this is what I wanted to study. It wasn’t until an open day at UWE Bristol however that I saw my first working laboratory. It was this that sparked my decision to apply to UWE Bristol and begin my journey into Higher Education.

It has made me a more confident, disciplined and capable person, ready to push and challenge myself in all aspects of life.

I started with a foundation course in Science as this allowed me to enrol on the university’s Forensic Science course. Once I began my undergraduate course I found the staff extremely passionate and experienced in their field which was reflected in the course modules and content. I decided to focus on the Chemistry pathway and regularly received top marks for my assessments, securing a place on the Dean’s List in Years 1 and 2 and eventually graduating my undergraduate degree with a first class honours.

Because my confidence grew in my academic life I started to find confidence outside of lab as well. In my first year at UWE Bristol I wasn’t able to secure halls and keen not to miss out, I soon joined the Archery Club. Here I made new friends and in my second year I became president of the club and Equipment and Safety Officer, something I am extremely proud of.

I am now working towards my Masters in Research in Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry and I could not have predicted how much I would gain from my degree and time at university. It has made me a more confident, disciplined and capable person, ready to push and challenge myself in all aspects of life.

Explore our postgraduate courses at UWE Bristol.