How UWE Bristol helped me find my internship.

by Alice, BA(Hons) Marketing

This year, I was lucky enough to get an internship through the UWE Bristol internship scheme*. After enjoying the first year of my marketing degree, I wanted to spend the holidays getting involved in something marketing-related. Here are my experiences of my internship and career development opportunities at UWE Bristol.

Careers opportunities through UWE Bristol

I first booked a careers drop-in session on Frenchay Campus as I wasn’t sure where to start. I knew I wanted to apply for an internship, but I couldn’t find what I was looking for when I looked online. I could have applied for a part-time job, however I loved my course so much I wanted to throw myself into any hands-on marketing opportunities I possibly could.

A lovely member of staff let me know about opportunities through our Careers Service, such as the UWE Bristol internship scheme. I then started looking for roles in my sector, and that’s when I found Premier Cottages, the organisation where I completed my internship.

Applying for my internship

The main thing that attracted me to this particular internship was the web marketing project I’d get to work on. I covered some web marketing basics on my course and really enjoyed learning about it, so I was interested in getting more experience in this area.

I applied by emailing the company through the advertisement on the UWE Bristol website, along with my CV and a cover letter. I later went for an interview and unexpectedly was successful. Tip: the interviews are the scariest part in my opinion, just make sure you smile, stay calm and really let them know your passion for what you do.

A typical day on my internship

A typical day for me varied depending on which tasks I took on. I worked 9am-5:30pm, Monday to Friday and I personally loved the routine. I left my house around 8am to drive to work, then when I got to the office, I’d make myself a coffee. I’d then chat to my co-workers who were the nicest people – they all made me feel at ease and welcome there. It can be scary being new in an office environment, but the people I worked with made it a lot easier for me.

Then I’d start work. My boss usually gave me specific tasks each day, including researching web marketing and making drafts for potential web pages to make the website more user friendly. I was able to be creative when it came to coming up with ideas for the website, which was a great opportunity. It was really exciting to contribute my ideas to a popular luxury cottage company and apply my degree to a real workplace. I had my lunch around 1pm and left work at 5:30pm to go home.

The highlights of my internship

I’d genuinely recommend internships to everyone for a number of reasons:

1. You learn so much through priceless, hands-on experience in a real workplace.
  2. You’re paid to do your work while adding skills and experience to your CV.
  3. You make connections that prepare you for a career after your degree.
  4. You can explore career paths you may want to choose in the future.

“Looking back, I’m so happy I took on this internship. The opportunity provided me with so much experience and knowledge that I wouldn’t have had otherwise.”

Working in marketing has confirmed that my degree is the right choice for me. It’s also really motivated me to work even harder at my degree as I love studying marketing. If you’re considering applying for an internship, my advice to you is to go for it – I’ve loved gaining real-world experience and I’m looking forward to finding another internship next year.

Find out more about career development opportunities at UWE Bristol.

*Please note: internships may be subject to change due to the Covid-19 pandemic.