How studying at Bower Ashton Campus inspires my creativity.

By Imogen, BA (Hons) Fashion Textiles

Bower Ashton is part of UWE Bristol’s City Campus and is only a 20-minute bus journey to the city centre. Right next to the campus is Ashton Court which is an 850-acre country estate and a great place to escape to when uni gets a bit stressful.

For any football fans, Ashton Gate stadium is an easy walk from the campus. Alongside hosting football games, they also have live music and recently a drive-through cinema. One of Bristol’s iconic landmarks is Clifton suspension bridge which is only a half an hour walk away which is a great place to admire the beautiful surrounding area.

What do I like most about the campus?

The Open Spaces

Before I moved to Bristol I lived in Devon and was constantly surrounded by greenery and large open spaces. I was worried that this is something that I would miss when living in the city. However, the Ashton Court Estate and the deer park next to the campus is an amazing place to escape to. During our lunch breaks me and my friends would take a walk through the surrounding grounds and take a picnic which is a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors. The short walk up to Ashton Court carpark has amazing views of the city. From here you can also take a route through the woods close by and this will take you up to Clifton Suspension bridge.

Nearby Aston court estate.

One of the main features that attracted me to UWE Bristol is the location of the campus I would be studying on. As I study fashion textiles and take a lot of inspiration from nature and different textures and themes, Bower Ashton is an amazing location that is both close to the city centre but also surrounded by so much nature.

From the fourth floor (Fashion Textiles floor) you can get some amazing views from our studio spaces and I have found this can really help inspire my work.

Imogen

The location

Due to being so close to the city centre it is a great for those who have part time jobs in the city and finding placements or internships close by. Part of the course is usually based in the Arnolfini or the Watershed (right by Bristol harbour) for lectures as part of the Visual Culture module that most creative courses have. Its easily accessible from campus meaning you can go to the lectures and then go back to use the library or equipment. I enjoyed going to these venues as they are right in the city centre, meaning afterwards it’s a short walk to get to Bristol Shopping quarter or to go out for a meal in one of Bristol’s many restaurants and cafes!

From Bower Ashton Campus there are regular buses that take you all the way through the city centre to Frenchay Campus which is great for joining societies or going to SU events at the main campus.

When looking for a flat for second year we found that Bedminster, Southville and Hotwells are great places for Bower Ashton students to live, close by to both the campus and the city centre. Alongside this Bedminster is a great place to visit to see some amazing street art and enjoy some local independent businesses.

The Buildings and Facilities

On my UWE Bristol open day, I was really impressed by the facilities available compared to other Uni’s I had looked at. Since then part of the main building has also been refurbished and a new block has been built.

The facilities are vital for the course and every student has access to everything across the campuses.

Imogen

Inside the campus has its own art shop which has also recently been refurbished which is great for buying course supplies. The uni also provides a £70 fund for eligible students and this can be used in the art shop as well as paying for use of equipment (embroidery machines, screen printing, laser cutting.) This money has been extremely helpful when studying and any that you don’t use gets rolled over to the next year!

The new Physical Making building at Bower Ashton campus.

The Library

The library is definitely one of my favourite places to get work done in because of the lovely views of the surrounding grounds and of all the resources available. Students are able to hire out MacBook’s using their student cards and the laptops have access to software’s such as: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, etc. This is great for students who may not have access to this software on their own laptops or don’t have one. The library is a great place to research because of the large variety of books, magazines, DVDs, journals, etc available and most can be borrowed out for a whole year.

I found that their archive of fashion and textile magazine has been a great help for my course.

Imogen

Having access to the printers is another great thing about the library as you have £20 printing credit at the beginning of each year which has really helped complete my sketchbook work.

Find out more about our campuses.