How I found my ideal study space at UWE Bristol.

By Mercedes, BA (Hons) Drama and Creative Writing

How and where we study is different right now and so it’s more important than ever to find a place where you feel safe and supported, so that you can focus on getting the most out of your course.

‘The Ideal Study Space’ is different for everyone. Some prefer to be in the comfort of their own space, (These people are fascinating to me, like, how do you not nap…At all?!) Some prefer a coffee shop type setting, and some prefer the calm outdoors.

As for me, I get too distracted in all of those settings, but I’ve found that studying on campus actually really works for me!

Mercedes

I’m currently studying Drama and Creative Writing and am based at UWE Bristol’s City Campus.  Contrary to most belief, doing a Drama degree is a bit more than remembering lines and getting bruises from Physical Theatre exercises — there’s a lot of ‘behind the scenes’ knowledge that needs to be learned. Using the City Campus Library makes me feel like I’m at home, but with a fresh element of productivity that helps me get stuff done.

The library is a great space for me to concentrate, with staff and resources on hand if I get stuck. It’s usually open pretty much all day (although it’s subject to some extra regulations at the moment due to Coronavirus restrictions), so you can get a good day’s work in without worry of having to leave early evening, and the space is perfect for group work in the main area as well as a section for silent study with a view of the Ashton Grounds to keep you at peace.

Here’s my favourite feature…You may or may not have heard of a software called Adobe Creative Cloud, you know…the one that costs a pretty penny to get for yourself? Well in the library at UWE Bristol they offer FREE use of the full package! In fact they’ve provided a wall of MacBooks that you can take out for the day to use on site, and you have access to all of the apps. I’ve found this so useful for my course and am pleased UWE Bristol makes the effort to cater to the needs of the student, whilst providing great places for focus.

UWE Bristol makes the effort to cater to the needs of the student, whilst providing great places for focus.

Mercedes

Even after the workload has gone down, you’ll still find someone chilling there with their music and a book, or groups of students planning a creative project on one of the roundtables, or someone making beats in the corner, or someone editing photos from their shoot — It’s a space for everyone to use!

So, where do you prefer to study? If, like me, nothing really works for you, why not give the UWE Bristol spaces a try?

Find out more about our campus and facilities.