UWE Bristol Apprentices Win at Society for Cardiological Science and Technology National Update Meeting

Two UWE Bristol apprentices have been recognised for their achievements at The Society for Cardiological Science and Technology (SCST) National Update Meeting.

Agnieszka Sawicka and Bradley Cock, apprentices on the Healthcare Science Practitioner Training Programme at UWE Bristol, were both recognised for their achievements during the national meeting

Agnieszka was awarded the Rising Star award and Bradley received the Highest Certificate Exam Grade Nationally, scoring 98% in his exam.

Agnieszka commented:

I have been working as a Healthcare Assistant Scientist in Non-invasive Cardiology for 3,5 years prior to starting the apprenticeship. I had no clinical background at all and looking at ECGs was very confusing to me at first. I started getting signed off in various tests, and my number 1 priority was to understand the traces I was looking at. At first, I’ve achieved the SCST practical award and the Certificate, which is basic ECG interpretation. Unfortunately, due to Covid, I couldn’t go ahead with the Diploma exam.

That is when I decided to organise daily ECG teachings for my colleagues, and I enjoyed it a lot. I love teaching new staff and sharing my knowledge with everyone. My manager put me through the apprenticeship as a recognition for my work and how much passion I had for the job role. It is an amazing course; I am enjoying it greatly.

During my first block week,  I had the opportunity to show how passionate I am and that is when I was recognised for my work. Getting the award means so much to me, those years of hard work have paid off, and someone was able to recognise my passion for the job. It was a great start to 2022, and I hope it’s only the beginning of amazing achievements.

Karina Stewart, Associated Head of Department (Subject Lead for Healthcare Science) commented:

“We are incredibly proud of our Healthcare Science apprentice students. Completing a BSc degree in three years alongside a busy clinical job is no mean feat, and of course it has been all the more challenging over the past couple of years. So it is fantastic to hear of Agnieszka’s and Bradley’s achievements, and to know that they have been justly rewarded for their dedication and hard work.”

SCST is the professional body for those working in cardiac healthcare science. SCST membership demonstrates that an individual is committed to the highest standards of practice and professional conduct.

Congratulations to both students!

Back to top