National Apprentice Week 2022: Meet the Apprentice Cerise Mangat

Image of apprentice

As part of National Apprentice Week 2022, we will be highlighting some of our Apprentices, Employers and Academics.

In this Meet the Apprentice, we caught up with Cerise Mangat, Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management Degree Apprenticeship, working with EDF Energy.

What attracted you to becoming a Higher or Degree apprentice?

The idea of gaining real world experience while learning and being able to put both in practice alongside each other was a key factor in wanting to pursue a degree apprenticeship. For me personally I learn better when I am able to put the theory into practice and see it being done- working on a large scale infrastructure project, such as Hinkley Point C (HPC), allows me to do this.

There was not a singular course which I wanted to pursue at university and attend for that one reason, so taking the route which allowed me to work and study at the same time was the best option for me. Also, being able to earn a salary was a factor which made me want to pursue the apprenticeship route.

Thinking about your apprenticeship experience to date, what have been the main benefits to your career development?

Constantly being around professionals and having them as a knowledge source is a huge benefit to my professional development on a daily basis. The way my scheme is designed means I am able to rotate throughout the business and engage with a wide range of individuals from all disciplines which further boosts my pool of colleagues to ask questions and learn from.

Having the opportunity to work from different project offices/sites also means that I am able to see firsthand how the project is constantly developing and am able to see how the work I am doing translates onto site and the progression of it all.

What are the top three things you would recommend to someone thinking about becoming a Higher or Degree apprentice?
  1. Throughout the entire process, do not try to change yourself to what you think the business wants- this is especially key in the assessment center process- they are not designed to trick you but more so to find out how you are as a person.
  2. Embrace being uncomfortable in situations you have not been exposed to, whether it be the interview or assessment center process, enjoy the journey of it all and you will learn a lot.
  3. Do not be afraid to apply and research schemes outside of topics/subjects you are not all that familiar with
  4. Do not let the location of the scheme put you off from applying- I moved for my job and I love it!
What are your future goals beyond completion of your apprenticeship?

My goals beyond completing the degree apprenticeship scheme is to successfully complete my End Point Assessment with RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) and continue to grow and develop my professional career- getting exposure to a wide range of projects of all sizes will aid this.

Find out more about Apprentices at UWE Bristol.

Back to top