Knowledge Transfer Partnerships: Craven Dunnill Jackfield Associate Spotlight

[Photo (L-R): David Huson (UWE), Richard Lamb (Innovate UK), Jed Leonard-Hammerman (UWE), Dr Russ Bromley (Knowledge Transfer Network]

UWE Bristol are currently working on a twenty-seven month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Craven Dunnill Jackfield. Founded in 1872, Craven Dunnill Jackfield (CDJ) has since produced ceramic wall and floor tiles in the oldest surviving purpose-built tile factory in the world, based in Ironbridge.

The KTP will introduce a range of 3D digital fabrication technologies to innovate the design and modelling process for specialist ceramic tile production and architectural restorations. We spoke to Jed Leonard-Hammerman, who is the KTP Associate leading the project:

What attracted you to the KTP role?

Lots of things, but mostly the opportunity to work with a university whilst gaining paid experience with a company.

How is the partnership between UWE and the company working?

Really well! We meet monthly to discuss progress and I spend most of my time at the Company but visit UWE about once a month to use the facilities and catch up with my Supervisor. It’s great working alongside and learning from the experts at both UWE and Craven Dunnill Jackfield.

What are the current challenges of your role?

Implementing ideas that have never been tested is quite daunting but also really exciting!

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I love managing the project, having the freedom to direct it and plan how my time is spent as well as the budget. I get to visit a lot of trade shows and exhibitions and enjoy speaking to industry representatives about applying their technology to the ceramics industry.

What do you think about the support available from UWE and the Company?

It’s great! My project is split into three elements (3D printing and CAD/ceramics/finance and project management) and I get all the support I need from my Academic Supervisor, the team at CDJ and the KTP Team at UWE. I’ve also had a lot of extra support from the Centre for Fine Print Research at UWE, particularly Walter Guy who has given up his time to show me how to use technical equipment. 

To find out more about the Knowledge Transfer Partnership opportunities at UWE, visit our website