Air pollution is the single biggest environmental threat to health in the UK, shortening tens of thousands of lives each year (State of the environment: health, people and the environment) putting air quality firmly on the list of environmental challenges alongside climate change, waste disposal, and flooding, which government bodies, organisations and communities are needing to address.
This in turn is generating a demand for skilled individuals in both the public and private sector who can support air quality monitoring activity.
This Inclusive Clean Air Bootcamp is delivered by UWE Bristol as part of the Digital Skills Investment Programme funded by West of England Combined Authority (WECA). It is free to register for individuals based in the West of England and aims to equip learners with new skills to help them secure new or better employment in environmentally focused careers supporting air quality activity.
Who is it for?
Our bootcamp is designed for individuals looking to develop their careers in air quality and is ideal for individuals who have a keen interest in environmental management, air pollution, public health, carbon management, or sustainability.
Our bootcamp is also open to businesses in the WECA region to upskill their current workforce to meet their future skills needs as a fully funded programme.
While this bootcamp is open to anyone to take part, we are especially keen to hear from applicants who fall into one of the following groups/criteria and these people will be given priority access:
- Women; individuals with a disability; and/or individuals from underrepresented ethnic minority group
- Graduates in Environment/Sustainability; Environmental/Public Health; Land Use Planners; Transport Planners; Engineers
What will you learn?
- Air Quality Management and Policy;
- Air Quality Monitoring and Modelling;
- Citizen Science/Low Cost Sensors;
- Data Analysis and Interpretation;
- Public Health & Inequalities;
- Communicating complex science;
- Emerging pollutants and Low Carbon Futures.
When does it start?
- This fully funded bootcamp begins on Wednesday 20th April 2022 and runs for 11 weeks
- Timetabled learning will be delivered on Wednesdays, 10am – 4pm in person at Frenchay Campus, Bristol
- An additional 4-6 hours of self-study per week will be expected.
Individuals can apply here or if you are a business interested in upskilling a member(s) of your team please contact us, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0117 32 82001 to discuss the bootcamp requirements further.
The bootcamp will finish with a 2-week ‘Employability Support Module’. You will be provided with a range of online support tools to help you secure higher-level employed roles in new or existing workplaces.
- CV & cover letter writing
- Interview preparation
- Networking skills
- LinkedIn profile building
- Introductions to relevant employers
Throughout the bootcamps, you will be paired with an industry mentor to complement your learning and open doors to future employment opportunities.
If you’re interested in becoming a skills bootcamp industry mentor, please register your interest here.
If you would like to speak to a member of the team before registering your interest in the bootcamp, email email@example.com and we will be happy to help.