Academic Spotlight – Professor Wendy Phillips

I have a multi-disciplinary background in science and management and I have spent over 20 years advancing the disciplines of innovation studies and supply chain management. Although my first degree was in Biological Sciences, I discovered I was more interested in the management of science, technology and innovation and I went on to undertake an MSc in Science and Industrial Strategy at the Policy Research in Engineering, Science and Technology at the University of Manchester. Following my MSc, I was awarded an ESCRC Case PhD Studentship to investigate the impact of environmental regulation on the Technology Strategy of Pilkington, the glass manufacturer.

Whilst studying for my PhD, I worked at the ESRC Centre for Innovation and Competition at the University of Manchester and upon completion I worked at the Centre for Research in Strategic Purchasing and Supply (CRiSPS) at the University of Bath School of Management before moving to UWE. My research impacts policy and practice in procurement in complex public sector supply networks such as the NHS, the Welsh NHS, and UK Higher Education Institutions (HEIs).

I am particularly interested in how innovation and technological developments in advanced manufacturing in healthcare can contribute towards a shift away from traditional, centralised models of manufacturing towards redistributed manufacturing (RDM) in local production, supporting more resilient and sustainable supply chains.
My research includes leading and contributing to the following:

• EPSRC funded Redistributed Manufacturing in Healthcare Network (RiHN – www.RiHN.org.uk), with the universities of Imperial, Kings College London, Sussex, Brunel, Cambridge, Loughborough, Herriot Watt, Nottingham and Newcastle to map the research landscape for redistributed manufacturing (RDM) in healthcare
  • Healthcare Industries Task Force (HITF) which brought together industry and government leaders together to develop a plan of action to stimulate science and industry in the UK
  • Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) funded project looking at the transformation of procurement and strategic sourcing decisions in the UK’s Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)
  • Research collaboration between the University of the West of England, Cardiff University, University of Bath, and University of Bristol evaluating the value of the West of England Academic Health Science Network (WEAHSN)
    -EPSRC and ESRC funded research projects looking at innovation in supply networks

I have experience of leading large-scale collaborative projects including managing and contributing to projects totalling more than £7M funded by EPSRC, ESRC, HEFCE, NHS, DTI, MoD and local government. I was involved in the Healthcare Industries Task Force, which brought together industry and government leaders together to develop a plan of action to stimulate science and industry in the UK; and an HEI consortium which evaluated the value of the West of England Academic Health Science Network, focusing on the role of innovative supply networks.

Find out more and connect with Professor Phillips on LinkedIn

Back to top